Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I have fallen :-D

I just wanted to see what it is. Now I know and I'm hooked :-D

I have been playing Farmville, Zooville, Frontierville, Café world and some other such games at Facebook the last week. I was totally fine before I knew about them. Now I cannot stop. I think I need to go "cold turkey" on them.

I read "Boldly Going to the Next Frontier(ville)" and was incredibly inspired :-D
I want that!

"The Backyard Homestead; review"

"In 1983, Storey Publishing printed its first catalog of books, many of which would have appealed to my parents and other self-sufficiency enthusiasts of the early 80's. The books included
Sweet and Hard Cider (by the then less-than-famous Annie Proulx)
Keeping the Harvest
Home Sausage Making
The Zucchini Cookbook
Woodstove Cookery
The Canning, Freezing, Curing and Smoking of Meat, Fish and Game
Carrots Love Tomatoes
Fruits and Berries for the Home Garden
The Family Cow
and of course, the classic
The Have-More Plan."
Oh! Such wonderful, inspiring titles! I want THAT!!! I have always loved this stuff :-D My favorite books when I was a teenager included John Seymour's Self Sufficiency, several books on herbs, herbal medicine and foraging the wild vegetables; some books to teach animal husbandry from 60's and the excellent "Får" ("The Swedish Sheep Bible", by Erik Sjödin), and I have always been a recipe collector - I have a special love for "original" recipes, like how to make curd, cheese, sourdough bread from scratch (yes, I can make Danish rye bread and buttonholes ;-)), tofu and preserves. I know how to cut meat (I mean, how to make half a pig into cuts of pork... not how to cut a roasted turkey... even though I know how to do that too :-D). I cannot kill or skin an animal nor cut it if it is a small one - like chicken. Give me a whole chicken and I will prepare it for food, but I will fight against nausea all the time and I won't be able to eat one bite of it. It would be so nice to have some chicken or rabbits - or guinea-pigs - at back yard for food :-) (Perhaps not guinea-pigs...). But geese, ducks, turkey...? Pheasants, peafowl, guineafowl, partridges...? One of my favorite books was "raising of hunting fowl" :-D
My misfortune is that I have Asperger's Syndrome, which has made me desperately picky eater... So I hate honey. I think it smells and tastes awful. I would like to have bees, though, and use honey as sugar and beeswax for candles :-) I suppose I would soon learn to not hate the stuff so much :-D
Also among my favorites was The Country Store... How to make your own cosmetics, cleaning products, how to dry flowers and other such things :-) I have also a large collection of "old wives tales" and tricks and tips :-)

I am also very interested in "green" living - I suppose having John Seymour as one of my "teachers" anything else would be impossible :-D So, use the words "sustainable", "frugal", "self-sufficient" and I'm interested :-D

P.S. Join my Writing Prompts for Pagans

No comments: