Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I love black flowers

Now the summer is over, and I had my first summer my balcony was empty. :-(

Next summer I want some black flowers there, and nasturtium and tomatoes and chili and lettuce and herbs and strawberries and potato and... :-D

 I love columbines... they are such a delicate, feminine and ornamental flowers...
 Black irises... I have always loved these Art Nouveau flowers :-) Any color is fine, but black is the best, of course ;-)
 Black cornflower. I really love the "poor man's corn", poppies and cornflowers, who grow on the corn fields, if there wasn't enough of seed... (Corn in this context means the "Old World" grains, especially barley, not maize.)
 Black Hollyhock. A really useful plant in a witch's garden. The whole plant is edible, and the flowers can be used to dye food and drink. It's also useful in dyeing yarn.
 Black Peony Poppies... (I always say "peony puppies" :-D) If my soul was a flower, this is what it would look like :-) Or a combination of peony poppies and daylilies.
This is Jungle Beauty. One of the most amazing black daylilies there is. :-)
 This is Mourning Bride :-) Really cute.
 Black tulips... Queen of Night is wonderful, but they don't really get as black as the seed catalogues suggest...
 Chocolate Cosmos is a lovely little flower :-) They actually smell like chocolate! Bees love them.
 I really love the violas and pansies :-) They are also one of the few truly black flowers. Really easy.
Black Baccara is one of my dreams... Right now, as I live in an apartment in a highrise, I don't want to even try growing roses on my balcony. But this is... Aaaah!

(The photos are not mine, but taken from different seed and plant companies.)

Read my article on black flowers :-)

4 comments:

CatHerder said...

Stunning..the black baccara is amazing

Lyn said...

They are all so beautiful. I didn't realise you could find so many black or almost black flowers. The black irises are stunning.

Sara: Love in the Suburbs said...

There is a newish book out that you might like: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Plants-Striking-Choices-Garden/dp/0881929816/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332619922&sr=1-4

xo

Dinah said...

I saw beautiful Autumn bouquet centerpiece last night. The flowers were held in a white pumpkin gourd.White roses and a few Chcolate Csmos.