Friday, March 2, 2012

Three weeks to Ostara

Three weeks to Ostara... At this time before any holiday I start thinking "what if this was Yule?"

The home would be decorated and ready to welcome Yule on 5th of December.
I would have been burning the candle for first advent, and opening the surprises of the countdown calendar.
I would have planned all the baking, food, gifts and cards, what to wear and where to be...

I have been talking about this - the fact that all the other Pagan sabbaths, even Samhain and Beltane, are being overshadowed by Yule. Christmas is a big business and there's so much of it... I have been talking about this for several years now, and I'm ashamed of myself that I haven't done anything much to change this situation, in my own life at least. Last year was a good year, and I had a good plan... but somehow, somewhere my balloon was inflated, and there wasn't much Ostara to speak of.

I wish I knew how to compose good music. I wish I could make myself an Ostara playlist to get me in the holiday mood, like with Christmas. Songs of spring and sheep and chicks and bunnies frolicking around, girls like butterflies in flower dresses and pastel colored cardies, trying out their new summer shoes for the first time... Easter bonnets."Passion of Christ" really doesn't do it for me. I find it only depressing.

I am more "holistic" when it comes to holiday decorations. I want to decorate the whole home, from window treatments to mantelpieces and have special rugs and scents and flowers and... yeah. You get the idea. Last year I was planning on covering my cookbooks that stand on the counter with Ostara-y paper and making them removable plastic covers, so that I can change the paper by holiday :-D That's how sabbath-mad I am :-D

I didn't do anything, though. I haven't done anything this year either. I suppose I need to go to my sister's and paint the dang cookie tins as I planned :-D And then fill them. There's so many wonderful cookie recipes for Ostara! And you can't believe how amazing some people are at decorating cookies!!! 8-o


Uh... go here: Ketutar's Ostara Board - to see more Ostara goodness :-)

No comments: