Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Why Am I A Pagan?

P.S. I read a tongue-in-cheek list of 10 reasons why someone would want to be Jewish. I started thinking that it might help me to recover from my Christianity poisoning if I wrote a list of 10 reasons why I would want to be Christian.

I cannot think of any.

I googled "10 reasons why I want to be Christian". I found nothing.
I googled "reasons why I want to be Christian". Nothing.
No results found for "why I want to be Christian".
(adding 'a' before 'Christian' didn't make any difference)

Obviously no-body wants to be Christian. 8-(

Can't really blame them.

Finally I found a list of 25 reasons why Chris Brundage is a Christian, and I suppose that have to serve as base to my list.

10. The Christian sense of community. (Now, it's so unfortunate Christians are also often chauvinists, and won't share the hospitality but with the people they consider being Christian.)

9. All the amazing Christian music. (I am fully aware that me not being a Christian doesn't make the music inaccessible and unenjoyable to me. I might not agree with the lyrics, but it's not the text I care about. It's the music. Johann Sebastian Bach... Handel... Oooh... Mozart's Requiem... Oh!)

8. The influence of Catholic church in creating non-Christian scholars... What ever I think of Christians, they did teach a lot of kids to read and write in order to get more copies of the Bible and other Christian scriptures, and I doubt that would have happened otherwise. Or then it would have, and even quicker, like it happened in the Arab world and China.)

7. Gothic cathedrals. (On the other hand, a centuries old redwood forest is better. :-))

6. St. Francis of Assisi, C.S.Lewis, Martin Luther King jr, Albert Schweizer and all the other "good Christians".

5. Er...

Now I have been wandering around the net and reading the different lists of people explaining why they are Christian, and... it just makes me angry, tired and sad.Nietzsche was right. "Whoever battles monsters should take care not to become a monster too, for if you stare long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss stares back into you."
The Apologetics have been trying to prove the unprovable, so they have stooped into logical monstrosities. Faith is not science, and shouldn't be treated as such either.

Michael Rowe on Anne Rice


Ok - why am I a Pagan?

1. Because I believe in God
2. Because I cannot, will not, want not and do not accept the dogmas of other existing religions and forms of spirituality.

It really is that simple, isn't it? :-D

No comments: